A strong partner for owners,
The success of any property is rooted in the guest experience, but the groundwork is laid well before a guest checks in.
The Uncommon Hospitality approach builds the foundation for that experience—choosing locations that feature a distinct sense of place, maintaining a brand that signifies excellence, and finding efficiencies that enable properties to operate profitably without sacrificing the services and amenities that keep guests coming back.
Our capabilities and proven approach have allowed us to be highly selective both in terms of the partners we work with and the settings where we operate. In turn, this enables us to continue building a brand and reputation that is consistent and successful.
Our approach serves everyone involved:
- Travelers discover experiences they can’t find anywhere else.
- Property owners trust us to build relationships, create innovative efficiencies, and provide effective management.
- Employees feel empowered to do what’s right for our guests, and to do the right thing for themselves as well.
Whether your property is in the conceptual stage or already established, our team can help optimize your operations. Our management services include:
- Staff recruitment, training and management
- Guest relations
- Brand/reputation management
- Community relations
- Oversight of capital improvement projects
- Revenue strategy and management
- Expense management, including vendor negotiations
- Annual budget preparation and implementation
- Reviewing, updating, creating property operating manuals
- Monthly reporting and regular communication
Our team is well-versed in development for both hospitality and residential real estate, as well as property rehabilitations and renovations. We work with projects at any stage to help shepherd them to the finish line, from concept and design to contractor selection and project accounting. Our development services include:
- Hotel projects
- Residential projects
- New construction
- Property rehabilitations
- Tax credits
- Market and best-use analysis
- Developing hotel concepts and programming
- Creating and implementing development budgets
- Building projections and business plans
- Preparing bank and investor presentations
- Selecting contractors and consultants
- Managing the design process
- Permits and approvals
- Project accounting and reporting
Selected Projects: Hospitality
The Longfellow will be the first independent full-service hotel to open in Portland in 20 years. This collaboration between Uncommon Hospitality and New York–based design firm Post Company is a residentially inspired, design-forward concept with one-of-a-kind wellness offerings. Located in Portland’s historic West End neighborhood, this five-story building is sure to be a destination for travelers and locals alike.
Uncommon Hospitality and its partners bought this property in Portland’s Historic Congress Street neighborhood in 2016—when it was an abandoned single-family mansion in desperate need of repair. Originally built in 1881, today it is a beautiful boutique hotel featuring 15 rooms and an on-site restaurant. Utilizing a tax-credit program for historic places, we worked with Archetype Architects, Wright-Ryan Construction, and other local vendors to ensure the hotel highlighted its location, history, and community.
A charming 61-room property with four buildings on Main Street in Ogunquit, The Admiral’s Inn was purchased by Uncommon Hospitality owners and their partners in 2014; shortly thereafter, we led a renovation that expanded the pool area, added a hot tub, and created space for an outdoor bar. We also identified opportunities to enhance revenue and reduce expenses, developing a plan to maintain the hotel’s competitive positioning and elevate its status.
Purchased in 2012 by Uncommon Hospitality founder Joe DeLois and his partners, The Colonial Inn underwent a massive renovation in 2013 and now comprises 62 bright, comfortable guest rooms across four buildings. This transformation, which reimagined all guest rooms (and increased their size by about 50%) turned The Colonial Inn from the “last resort” in Ogunquit to one of the premier destinations in this beachside community.